Friday, February 15, 2008

Passion

We all need a little passion in our life, right? Not that kind of passion! I mean the passion for things we feel strongly about, the things we love, and the things that inspire us.

Well, my boy Gavin is a passionate boy. When he loves something, he loves it deeply. His life is turned upside down by his loves. As a tiny thing of barely two, his first big love was dinosaurs. Have you ever heard a sweet little two year old say, "Parasauralophus?" Precious. Oh, I never knew SOOO much about dinosaurs as I do now. This love has definately lasted the longest. For a good 4 years, that was his true love. For discipline, I would take away dinosaurs. Sometimes ALL things dinosaur - no dino clothes, no dino books, no dino toys, it was a sad day.

As he grew, his passions for other things began. One year, he absolutely LOVED belts. He would take Daddy's and mine, his, and just play with them all day. I was really thinking about getting 10 belts from Goodwill for Christmas for him that year.

Then it was Star Wars. He LOVED Star Wars. He watched the movies all the time, drew pictures, and did pretend play. For Halloween, he was Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

For a while, he was loving Avatar, he watched the show, collected the guys, drew more pictures, and of course played Avatar at all times.
He got very interested in the solar system. His room was painted with space scenes by his aunt. Very awesome.

This past year, he was crazy for the Magic Tree House books. While they were under his reading level, he HAD to read them all. We quickly got them all from the library and within weeks, he had read all 38 books. He even had memorized which number was which title. It was amazing to ask him what #17 was, and him answer in a matter of seconds, "Tonight on the Titanic."

Gavin recently found a new passion. He is watching movies, drawing pictures, playing pretend with his "toys", and, of course, reading the books. Here is a display of some of his passion for the subject:



This is my boy riding his "broom". Last night, he and his sister had a quidditch match. It was quite exciting!

What, you don't know who this group is? Why it is Harry, Ron, and Hermione! Harry (cat), Hermione (McDonald's toy from Chronicles of Narnia), and Ron (Imaginext toy). I MUST get him some real toys! Or at least get him a new Harry!!! Ewwww. Harry needs a bath! I love seeing him with a belt (Still loves his belt!) playing book #2, with the snake. It is very entertaining.

I love how he shares his passion with the whole family. We all love dinosaurs, all 4 older kids have lightsabers, they love watching Avatar together, and both Morgan and Gavin are reading Harry Potter together. They are now finishing book #3.

I love Gavin's passion. I hope he grows up to be passionate about his life, his education, his career, his family, and his goals. I need to catch a little bit of his passion for things.

2 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

AJ is my passion-boy. Read about Ammon in the BoM; I used to think my first born wasn't happy enough to deserve his name, but lately I've seen that Ammon was not just about joy--he was all about passion. He did after all cut off all those arms. . . .

We are still doing trains. Two other things have lately moved to the forefront, however: Pirates and Star Wars. I have hope for a Thomas-free future. And I am just itching for the days when Harry Potter moves into his sights. Oh, I will be right there with him every step of the way.

He would probably love the Narnia books?

Valerie said...

I love it! My kids aren't into anything like that.... Except maybe Georgie with Star Wars... But Devin doesn't have anything specific that she's completely and totally passionate about. I wish she did!