Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Season Shuffle

It's that time of year. The colder weather has come, so it's time to pack up the short sleeved shirts and the shorts. Time to hunt down the winter coats, the black dress shoes, the sweaters. Time for me to get emotional while packing up the outgrown clothes.

I wonder if it is just me, but I dread it. Not only is shuffling through five children's clothes time consuming work, but I just get sad with the physical reminders that my children are growing up. I feel like a big baby.

This morning I went through Reagan's drawers. I stored the summer stuff that will fit for next year, and then I stacked stuff to be saved for Camryn. It was fun thinking of Cami wearing some of those clothes in a few years. Fun to toss the stuff I never want to see again.

The past week, I brought up bags of clothes for Austin and Camryn from the basement. It's a walk down memory lane to pull them out and think when the older kids wore them, thinking of them at their younger years. They are washed and ready to wear. However, those bags and boxes are still sitting in their rooms. Why? I am dreading the removal of their old stuff. The stuff I give away for good. There isn't any younger ones to pass them on to. Now I have to decide the donations, passing on or selling the barely worn, maybe even keeping a few. It's hard to get in there and work.

I know my mom must have had these same feelings, she saved a lot of our clothes. She has been able to give me some of my own clothes that I wore as a baby and little girl. Some of them were really neat to have, like the outfit I wore home from the hospital. It was special to have each of my daughters wear that dress home as well. But others, seemed old and dated, better to have been given up decades ago.

It's hard for me to let go, but I can do it...

3 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Sorry I haven't been here. Several months ago I updated and lost some people; I thought permanently. If you post, I'll reply. :)

Kathleen said...

I know how you feel. Last summer I donated almost all of Bryton's baby clothes. That was very sad since I only got to use them once and he had some really cute stuff. The girls' clothes on the other hand, I love getting rid of. By the time they get passed down to Whitney I can hardly stand to look at most of them anymore. I've had to buy her a lot of her own stuff because some of it doesn't make it that far. It's sad to get rid of the new stuff that I bought just for her. Don't worry Lisa, in +- 10 years you'll have grand babies. That's what I keep telling myself.

Ashley Canady said...

I have a hard time with the clothes too. I used to save everything in the attic. Then I decided I could get rid of everything. Now I have tons of empty bins. My Mom says I am in trouble if I have anymore kids. I won't have any clothes for them. Oh well. Just have to buy new stuff.