Monday, January 19, 2009

Books, Books, Books!

Last year, I decided to write down all the books I read during the year. I've never kept a written record, so it is fun to look back and remember the year in books. Here's the list:

1. Mansfield Park – Jane Austen
2. Marley and Me – John Grogan
3. The Listener – Terri Blackstock
4. The Ultimate Gift – Jim Stovall
5. Letters For Emily – Camron Wright
6. The Gifted – Terri Blackstock
7. Keeping Faith – Jodi Picoult
8. Ella Minnow Pea – Mark Dunn
9. Lost Horizon – James Hilton
10. My Name is Asher Lev – Chiam Potok
11. Uglies – Scott Westerfeld
12. Elsewhere – Gabrielle Zevin
13. A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
14. Pretties – Scott Westerfeld
15. Specials – Scott Westerfeld
16. Extras – Scott Westerfeld
17. The Host – Stephenie Meyers
18. I Heard the Owl Call My Name – Margaret Craven
19. The Giver – Lois Lowry
20. Gathering Blue – Lois Lowry
21. Messenger – Lois Lowry
22. The Guardian – Nicholas Sparks
23. Perfect Match – Jodi Picoult
24. Forever in Blue – Ann Brashares
25. Pope Joan – Donna Woolfolk Cross
26. Water for Elephants – Sara Gruen
27. The Last Summer (of You and Me) – Ann Brashares
28. The Secret – Rhonda Byrne
29. The Red Badge of Courage – Stephen Crane
30. The Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck
31. Oxygen – Carol Cassella
32. The Magician’s Nephew – C. S. Lewis
33. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – C. S. Lewis
34. Breaking Dawn – Stephenie Meyers
35. The Horse and His Boy – C. S. Lewis
36. Prince Caspian – C. S. Lewis
37. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – C. S. Lewis
38. Poppy and Rye – Avi
39. The Silver Chair – C. S. Lewis
40. The Last Battle – C. S. Lewis
41. Gossamer – Lois Lowry
42. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
43. Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck
44. The Last Lecture – Randy Pausch with Jeffrey Zaslow
45. The Homework Machine – Dan Gutman
46. Beautiful Boy – David Sheff
47. A Thread of Grace – Mary Doria Russell
48. The Thirteenth Tale – Diane Setterfield
49. The Worst Best School Year Ever – Barbara Robinson
50. The Quiet Little Woman: A Christmas Story – Louisa May Alcott
51. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J. K. Rowling
52. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets – J. K. Rowling
53. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban – J. K. Rowling
54. No Talking – Andrew Clements
55. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J. K. Rowling

Some were read alouds with the kids. Some were for book club. I think my favorite one this year was, The Grapes of Wrath. I have never read it before and I really enjoyed it. So sad, SO SAD, but really good.

4 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Wow! Your list has some of my favorites. I'm very impressed by the sheer volume, as well as the breadth. GoW is one of my all-time favorite books. I think anyone who wants to get an insider's look at the Great Depression, or I'm sorry to tell your husband, a handle on why the government must sometimes intervene, must absolutely read this book. I love the intercollary chapters of commentary that occur between the story chapters. My favorite chapter in that book is one of the short ones--the last two paragraphs of chapter 25 are some of the most moving words ever written in English, and probably the best every written in America. That is just an opinion. . . .

Jeni Allen said...

Lisa, I just read your entire blog, I know, I can't sleep. I love it! You guys are so awesome. If I had to describe you to someone, it would be, "so full of the spirit. she always knows what to do and does it right!"

Kathleen said...

Holy smokes! That was a LOT of books. I'm reading an Oprah book right now called "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle". So far I've been working on it since the beginning of January. At this rate I will never catch up to you.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! How do you find the time to read so many books!? Your husband must be very understanding. Doesn't he expect you to do housework or anything? He must love you very much, which is understandable because you are very HOT. Good for you!

P.S. Does your husband know about your secret love affair with Harry Potter?